At this point, everyone knows that lying out in the sun, while relaxing, increases your skin cancer risk significantly. Even if you coat yourself in SPF 50 every time you go out, every sunburn and suntan could be doing irreparable damage. Plus, sun damage causes premature aging—and who needs any extra wrinkles? That’s why spray tanning is such a great option. You still get that golden glow, but without the aging and the skin cancer risk.
Of course, spray tanning comes with its own set of dos and don’ts—you don’t want to end up with a streaky, uneven mess. Here’s what to do (and what not to do) when you’re signing up for your first spray tanning session:
- Do exfoliate beforehand: To get a smooth, even tan, make sure you exfoliate your entire body before your spray tan. Use a water-based exfoliant. If you don’t, the spray tan will cover those dead skin cells—so when they’re sloughed off, your tan will come off too.
- Don’t use beauty products beforehand: Avoid using moisturizers, oils and other beauty products before your spray tanning appointment. They prevent your skin from absorbing the spray tan, so you’ll end up with an uneven color wherever you’ve applied beauty products.
- Do shave or wax: Make sure you do any hair removal beforehand—if you try to shave or wax afterwards, it will exfoliate your skin and remove the tan unevenly.
- Don’t wear jewelry: Wearing jewelry will interfere with your spray tan application. You should also keep your hair up and off your neck.
- Do wear loose clothing afterward: Bring loose clothing to change into after your spray tan, and skip the bra for at least six hours. This will prevent the tan from rubbing off while it absorbs into your skin.
- Don’t take a shower or exercise for 24 hours: Water and sweat will interfere with the tanning process, so you’re off the hook for a full 24 hours. (Schedule your spray tan wisely.)
- Do moisturize and use a tan extender: After your spray tanning appointment, be sure to moisturize and use a tan extender to keep that sun-kissed glow going for as long as possible.
- Don’t book any hair or nail appointments for 48 hours: The chemicals in hair and nail treatments can interfere with your spray tan, so avoid scheduling any beauty appointments for 48 hours after the tanning appointment.
- Do ask questions: Your spray tanning technician is happy to help clear things up for you, especially if it’s your first time. We want everyone to be comfortable, so don’t hesitate to ask questions until you feel prepared to go in. You’ll get the best results when you know what to expect from the process.
Getting that summer tan is a lot easier with a spray tanning appointment. You’ll look and feel great afterwards, especially knowing you’re taking great care of your skin.
When you’re ready to book your spray tan appointment, get in touch with Gilbert Wax Bar, LLC today.