It’s swimsuit season, and if your goal is to have perfectly smooth skin to show off in shorts and swimsuits, it might be time to try waxing. Although it’s not for everyone, it can get your skin in shape fast—and with enough time and commitment, your hair will eventually grow in finer and less noticeable. Is this the summer you finally try waxing?
When you’re ready to get the smoothest skin possible, book a waxing appointment—and follow these waxing tips for great results every time:
- Make the commitment: The main thing to remember about waxing is that you have to really commit if you hope to see long-term results. Of course your skin will look and feel great after one appointment, but if you want to get to the point where your body hair is lighter and less noticeable, you’ll need to wax every four to six weeks for an indefinite period.
- Put it in your budget: Waxing isn’t free, unfortunately, so you’ll need to make room in your budget for your appointments. Some salons offer packages where you get discounts for purchasing multiple appointments in advance, so take the plunge and lock in a great rate.
- Exfoliate often: You’ll need to exfoliate thoroughly before and after your waxing appointments. It removes the top layer of dead skin cells, which makes it easier to remove the hair from the roots. After your appointment (about two to three days later), you can start gently exfoliating the waxed areas. This will help prevent ingrown hairs.
- Grow your hair out: Your hair needs to be at least a quarter of an inch long for good results, so let it grow out before your waxing appointment.
- Be careful after your first appointment: Your skin is probably going to feel sensitive for a day or so after the appointment. Cold compresses are good to reduce pain—and avoid sex, exercise and saunas for the first 48 hours.
- Avoid waxing on your period: If you have periods, avoid scheduling your waxing appointments for those days—it will increase the pain significantly.
- Don’t pick at ingrown hairs: Finally, no matter what, avoid the temptation to pick at ingrown hairs. They can get irritated or infected, and may result in permanent scar tissue. Instead, exfoliate and use special products to prevent and treat ingrown hairs. Your esthetician can recommend one for you and your specific skin concerns.
Nervous about your first waxing appointment? Not sure if you can make a commitment for the next few months or more? We encourage you to talk to us about your concerns. At Gilbert Wax Bar, LLC, we want all of our clients to feel comfortable and confident about their beauty treatments. Don’t hesitate to ask questions when you schedule an appointment, before the procedure and afterwards. We’ll make sure you’re set up for summer waxing success.
For more waxing tips, or to schedule an appointment with one of Gilbert Wax Bar, LLC’s talented estheticians, call us today. Don’t forget to check out our full range of services and products available!